The first semester, students will be learning about the Holocaust. I understand that the Holocaust is a very tough topic and is extremely difficult to get the students to be excited to learn about it. I explained to students at the beginning of the month that this material may be hard to get through, but it is a very important part of our history. So far the students have been focused and have contributed meaningful conversations.
The focus of this month’s lessons were:
-Introducing students to the study of the Holocaust
-Showing students how examining primary evidence can provide insight
-Using photographic and written evidence to form opinions about the Holocaust
On the first day, students were asked to fill in the blanks on five statements:
- Some people have said the Holocaust never happened. I believe it happened because __________.
- I think the Holocaust is important to Jews because __________.
- I think the Holocaust is important to all human beings because __________.
- What interests me most about the Holocaust is __________.
- When I think of the Holocaust, I feel __________.
Opinions are a big part of the curriculum so I explained to students that I am going to keep their answers and they will get them back at the end of the semester to see if their opinions have changed at all.
Please let me know if you have any questions or comments.